Professor Emerita of Criminology, Law & Society
Kitty Calavita is Chancellor's Professor Emerita of Criminology, Law and Society at the University of California, Irvine. Much of her work examines the interplay of political, ideological, and economic factors in the implementation of immigration law, the treatment of white-collar crime, and, most recently, prisoners' rights. In all of these cases, she explores what they can tell us about relations of power and state processes. Her books include Inside the State: The Bracero Program, Immigration, and the INS (1992); Big Money Crime: Fraud and Politics in the Savings and Loan Industry (1997); Immigrants at the Margins: Law, Race, and Exclusion in Southern Europe (2005); Invitation to Law & Society: An Introduction to the Study of Real law (2010; 2nd edition, 2016); Appealing to Justice: Prisoner Grievances, Rights, and Carceral Logic (2015).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Rorschach Tests, Pluralism, and Hopes for the Future: A Response to the Responses." Law and Social Inquiry 39: 234-241 (2014).
- Calavita, Kitty and Valerie Jenness, "Inside the Pyramid of Disputes: Naming Problems and Filing Grievances in California Prisons." Social Problems 60: 50-80 (2013).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Immigration, Law, and Marginalization in a Global Economy: Notes from Spain," Law and Society Review, Vol. 32: 529-566.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The Paradoxes of Race, Class, Identity and 'Passing': Enforcing the Chinese Exclusion Acts, 1882-1910," Law and Social Inquiry, Vol. 25: 1-40.
- Calavita, Kitty, Immigrants at the Margins: Law, Race, and Exclusion in Southern Europe. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Calavita, Kitty, Henry Pontell, and Robert Tillman, Big Money Crime: Fraud and Politics in the S&L Crisis (University of California Press), 1997.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The New Politics of Immigration: 'Balanced Budget Conservatism' and Prop 187," Social Problems, Volume 43, 1996.
- Calavita, Kitty and Henry Pontell, "The State and White-Collar Crime: Saving the Savings and Loans, Law and Society Review, Volume 28, 1994.
- Calavita, Kitty, Inside the State: The Bracero Program, Immigration and the INS (Routledge, Chapman and Hall, 1992).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Employer Sanctions Violations: Toward a Dialectical Model of White-Collar Crime," Law and Society Review, Volume 24, 1990.
- Calavita, Kitty and Henry Pontell, "'Heads I Win, Tails You Lose': Deregulation, Crime and Crisis in the Savings and Loan Industry," Crime and Delinquency, Volume 36, Number 3, July, 1990.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The Contradictions of Immigration Lawmaking: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986," Law and Policy, Volume 11, Number 1 (1989).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Worker Safety, Law, and Social Change: The Italian Case," Law and Society Review, Volume 20, Number 2, 1986.
- Calavita, Kitty, U.S. Immigration Law and the Control of Labor, 1820-1924. London: Academic Press 1984.