Kitty Calavita is Professor of Criminology, Law and Society at the University of California, Irvine. She is currently studying the implementation of immigration policy in Italy and Spain. Much of her work examines the interplay of political, ideological, and economic factors in the implementation of immigration law and in the treatment of white-collar crime, and in both cases it explores what these dynamics can tell us about relations of power and state processes. Her recent article, "The Paradoxes of Race, Class, Identity, and 'Passing:' Enforcing the Chinese Exclusion Acts, 1882-1910," Law and Social Inquiry (2000), links the everyday dilemmas of frontline immigration inspectors to contradictory assumptions about the nature of race, class, and identity. Her book, Immigrants at the Margins: Law, Race, and Exclusion in Southern Europe, published by Cambridge University Press, will be available in January, 2005.
- Calavita, Kitty, "Immigration, Law, and Marginalization in a Global Economy: Notes from Spain," Law and Society Review, Vol. 32: 529-566.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The Paradoxes of Race, Class, Identity and 'Passing': Enforcing the Chinese Exclusion Acts, 1882-1910," Law and Social Inquiry, Vol. 25: 1-40.
- Calavita, Kitty, Immigrants at the Margins: Law, Race, and Exclusion in Southern Europe. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Calavita, Kitty, Henry Pontell, and Robert Tillman, Big Money Crime: Fraud and Politics in the S&L Crisis (University of California Press), 1997.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The New Politics of Immigration: 'Balanced Budget Conservatism' and Prop 187," Social Problems, Volume 43, 1996.
- Calavita, Kitty and Henry Pontell, "The State and White-Collar Crime: Saving the Savings and Loans, Law and Society Review, Volume 28, 1994.
- Calavita, Kitty, Inside the State: The Bracero Program, Immigration and the INS (Routledge, Chapman and Hall, 1992).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Employer Sanctions Violations: Toward a Dialectical Model of White-Collar Crime," Law and Society Review, Volume 24, 1990.
- Calavita, Kitty and Henry Pontell, "'Heads I Win, Tails You Lose': Deregulation, Crime and Crisis in the Savings and Loan Industry," Crime and Delinquency, Volume 36, Number 3, July, 1990.
- Calavita, Kitty, "The Contradictions of Immigration Lawmaking: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986," Law and Policy, Volume 11, Number 1 (1989).
- Calavita, Kitty, "Worker Safety, Law, and Social Change: The Italian Case," Law and Society Review, Volume 20, Number 2, 1986.
- Calavita, Kitty, U.S. Immigration Law and the Control of Labor, 1820-1924. London: Academic Press 1984.
- Calavita, Kitty, "Current Directions in Immigration Research," primary essay in special issue of Law and Society Review, January, 1990.