Dr. Ingram's research interests include: (1) Transboundary national resources, particularly on the US/Mexican border, (2) Water resources and equity, (3) Public policy design and implementation, (4) The impact of policy upon democracy, public participation and social movement formation, and (5) Science and Society.
- Ingram, H. (with Meyer, D., and Jenness, V.) (2005). Routing the Opposition: Social Movements, Public Policy, and Democracy. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- Ingram, H. (with DiMento, J.) (Spring 2005). Science and Environmental Decision Making: The Potential Role of Environmental Impact Assessment in the Pursuit of Appropriate Information. Natural Resources Journal.
- Ingram, H. (with Fraser, L.) (forthcoming). Path Dependency and Adroit Innovation: The Case of California Water. In Baumgartner, F. (Ed.) By Fits and Starts: The Dynamics of U. S. Environmental Policy Change. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Ingram H. (with A. Schneider) (2005). Deserving and entitled: Social constructions and public policy. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Ingram, H. (with Lach, D. and Rayner, S.) (2005). Taming the Waters: Strategies to domesticate the wicked problems of water resource management. International Journal of Water.
- Ingram, H. (with Schneider, A.) (forthcoming) Policy Analysis for Democracy. In Rein ,M., Moran,M. and Goodin, (Ed.) Oxford Handbook of Public Policy. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Ingram, H. (Schneider, A., and McDonald, B.) (2004). The Political Invasion of Science: How Policy Constructs Boundaries and Meanings Italian Review of Public Policy. No. 2, p. 5-28.
- Ingram, H. (with Blatter, J.) (2001). Reflections on water: New approaches to transboundary conflicts and cooperation. MIT Press.
- Schneider, Anne and Helen Ingram. 1997. Policy Design for Democracy. University of Kansas Press.
- Ingram, H. (with Schneider, A.) (1993, June). The social construction of target populations: Implication for politics and policy. The American Political Science Review. 87 (2). p. 334-347.
- Ingram, Helen and Smith, Steven R. 1993. "Public Policy for Democracy." Public Policy for Democracy. The Brookings Institution.