I am a developmental psychologist with clinical training, a social psychological orientation, and an interest in the social and cultural factors that shape development and behavior. I could be described as an interdisciplinary psychologist! I am currently conducting research with my long-term colleague Professor Chuansheng Chen, and several current and former graduate students, on topics related to adolescence, young adulthood, and the long years of middle adulthood. For example, I am investigating family and peer experiences that are related adolescent depression and problem behavior in various countries, cultures, and ethnic groups and factors related to seeking help for psychological problems; the changing nature of parent-child relationships during the young adult years and the impact of these relationships on young adult outcomes; and family relationships that are conducive to the well-being of parents and children in the parents' middle adult years. I also maintain an interest in understanding people' attitudes of "entitlement" and its causes along with ways of down-regulating such attitudes.
Web Links of Research Sites
- Research Opportunities (Undergraduate)
- Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research on Adolescent and Young Adult Development
- Chang, E.S., Greenberger, E., Chen, C., Heckhausen, J., & Farruggia, S.P. (in press). Non-parental adults as social resources in the transition to adulthood. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Chung, W., Chen, C., Greenberger, & Heckhausen, J. (2009). A cross-ethnic study of adolescents’ depressed mood and the erosion of parental and peer warmth during the transition to young adulthood. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 19, 359-379.
- Lessard, J., Greenberger, E., & Chen, C. (2009). Adolescents’ response to parental efforts to influence eating habits: When parental warmth matters. Journal of Youth & Adolescence.
- Greenberger, E., Lessard, J., Chen, C., Farruggia, S.P. (2008). Self-entitled college students: Contributions of personality, parenting, and motivational factors. Journal of Youth & Adolescence, 37, 1193-1204.
- Chang, E., Chen, C., Greenberger, E., Dooley, D., & Heckhausen, J. (2006). What do they want in life?: The life goals of a multi-ethnic, multi-generational sample of high school seniors. Journal of Youth & Adolescence, 35, 321-332.
- Burton, M., Greenberger, E., & Hayward, C. (2005). Mapping the ethnic landscape: Personal beliefs about own group's and other groups' traits. Cross-Cultural Research, 39, 351-379.
- Dmitrieva, J., Chen, C., Greenberger, E., & Gil-Rivas, V. (2004). Family relationships and adolescent psychosocial outcomes: Converging findings from Eastern and Western cultures. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 14, 425-447.
- Farruggia, S.P., Chen, C., Greenberger, E., Dmitrieva, J., & Macek, P. (2004). Adolescent self-esteem in cross-cultural perspective: Testing measurement equivalence and a mediation model. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology,
- Beam, M.R., Gil-Rivas, V., Greenberger, E., & Chen, C. (2002). Adolescent problem behavior and depressed mood: Risk and protection within and across social contexts. Journal of Youth & Adolescence, 31, 343-357.
- Beam, M.R., Chen, C., & Greenberger, E. (2002). The nature of the relationships between adolescents and their "very important" nonparental adults. American Journal of Community Psychology, 30, 305-325.
- Chen, C., Edwards, K., Young, B.K., & Greenberger. E. (2001). Close relationships between Asian and European American college students. Journal of Social Psychology, 141, 85-100.
- Greenberger, E., Chen, C., Beam, M., Whang, S-M., & Dong, Q. (2000). The perceived social contexts of adolescents' misconduct: A comparative study of youths in three cultures. Journal of Research on Adolescence. 10, 369-392.
- Greenberger, E., Chen, C., Tally, S., & Dong, Q. (2000). Family, peer, and individual correlates of depressive symptomatology in U.S. and Chinese adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68, 202-219.
- Schwab-Stone, M., Chen, C., Greenberger, E., Silver, D., & Voyce, C. (1999). No safe haven II: The effects of violence exposure on urban youth. Journal of the American Acadamy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38, 359-367.
- Chen, C., Greenberger, E., Lester, J., Dong, Q., & Guo, M.S. (1998). A cross-cultural study of family and peer correlates of adolescent misconduct. Developmental Psychology, 34, 770-781.
- Greenberger, E., Chen, C., & Beam, M.R. (1998). The role of "very important" non- parental adults in adolescent development, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 27, 321- 343.
- Greenberger, E., & Chen, C. (1996). Perceived family relationships and depressed mood in early and late adolescence: A comparison of European and Asian Americans. Developmental Psychology, 32, 707-716.
- O'Neil, R. & Greenberger, E. (1994). Patterns of commitment to work and parenting: Implications for role strain. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 56, 101-118.
- Greenberger, E. & O'Neil, R. (1993). Spouse, parent, worker: Role commitments and role-related experiences in the construction of adults' well- being. Developmental Psychology, 29, 181-197.
- Greenberger, E. & O'Neil, R. (1992). Maternal employment and perceptions of young children: Bronfenbrenner et al. revisited. Child Development, 63, 431-448.