Charis E. Kubrin is Associate Professor of Criminology, Law and Society. Professor Kubrin’s research focuses on neighborhoods, race, and violence as central to social disorganization theory. A related line of research examines the intersection of music, culture and social identity, particularly as it applies to hip-hop and minority youth in disadvantaged communities. In 2005, Professor Kubrin received the Ruth Shonle Cavan Young Scholar Award from the American Society of Criminology and the Morris Rosenberg Award for Recent Achievement from the District of Columbia Sociological Society. In 2007, she was a visiting fellow at the Centre for Criminology at Oxford University.
Web Links of Research Sites
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Thomas D. Stucky. Forthcoming. Introduction to Criminal Justice: A Sociological Perspective. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Marjorie S. Zatz, and Ramiro Martinez, Jr., Eds. 2012. Punishing Immigrants: Policy, Politics, and Injustice. New York: NYU Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Thomas D. Stucky, and Marvin D. Krohn. 2008. Researching Theories of Crime and Deviance. New York: Oxford University Press.
• Crutchfield, Robert D., Charis E. Kubrin, Joseph G. Weis, and George S. Bridges, Eds. 2007. Crime and Society: Crime, 3rd Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
• Squires, Gregory D. and Charis E. Kubrin. 2006. Privileged Places: Race, Residence, and the Structure of Opportunity. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
• Wadsworth, Tim, Charis E. Kubrin, and Jerald R. Herting. Forthcoming. "Investigating the Rise (and Fall) of Young Black Male Suicide in the U.S., 1982-2001. Journal of African American Studies.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Hiromi Ishizawa. 2012. " Why Some Immigrant Neighborhoods are Safer than Others: Divergent Findings from Los Angeles and Chicago." The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 641:148-173.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Gregory D. Squires, and Steven M. Graves. 2011. “ Does Fringe Banking Exacerbate Neighborhood Crime Rates? Investigating the Social Ecology of Payday Lending.” Criminology and Public Policy 10:437-466.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Steven F. Messner, Glenn Deane, Kelly McGeever, and Thomas D. Stucky. 2010. “ Proactive Policing and Robbery Rates across U.S. Cities.” Criminology 48:57-98.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Tim Wadsworth. 2009. “ Explaining Suicide among Blacks and Whites: How Socio-Economic Factors and Gun Availability Affect Race-Specific Suicide Rates.” Social Science Quarterly 90:1203-1227.
• Weitzer, Ronald and Charis E. Kubrin. 2009. “ Misogyny in Rap Music: A Content Analysis of Prevalence and Meanings.” Men and Masculinities 12:3 -29.
• Desmond, Scott A. and Charis E. Kubrin. 2009. “ The Power of Place: Immigrant Communities and Adolescent Violence.” Sociological Quarterly 50:581- 607.
• Ousey, Graham C. and Charis E. Kubrin. 2009. “ Exploring the Connection between Immigration and Crime Rates in U.S. Cities, 1980-2000.” Social Problems 56:447-473.
• Deane, Glenn, Steven F. Messner, Thomas D. Stucky, Kelly McGeever, and Charis E. Kubrin. 2008. “ Not ‘Islands, Entire of Themselves’: Exploring the Spatial Context of City-Level Robbery Rates.” Journal of Quantitative Criminology 24:363-380.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2008. “ Making Order of Disorder: A Call for Conceptual Clarity.” Criminology & Public Policy 7:203- 214.
• Guest, Avery M., Charis E. Kubrin, and Jane K. Cover. 2008. “ Heterogeneity and Harmony: Neighboring Relationships among Whites in Ethnically-Diverse Neighborhoods in Seattle.” Urban Studies 43:501-526.
• Wadsworth, Tim and Charis E. Kubrin. 2007. “ Hispanic Suicide in U.S. Metropolitan Areas: Examining the Effects of Immigration, Assimilation, Affluence, and Disadvantage. ” American Journal of Sociology 112:1848-1885.
• Pollak, Jessica and Charis E. Kubrin. 2007. “ Crime in the News: How Crimes, Offenders and Victims are Portrayed in the Media.” Journal of Criminal Justice and Popular Culture 14:59-83.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Gregory D. Squires, and Eric A. Stewart. 2007. “ Neighborhoods, Race and Recidivism: The Community Reoffending Nexus and Its Implications for African Americans.” Sage Race Relations Abstracts 32:7-37.
• Guest, Avery M., Jane K. Cover, Charis E. Kubrin, and Ross L. Matsueda. 2006. “ Neighborhood Context and Neighboring Ties.” City and Community 5:363-385.
• Kubrin, Charis E., Tim Wadsworth, and Stephanie DiPietro. 2006. “ Deindustrialization, Disadvantage and Suicide among Young Black Males.” Social Forces 84:1559- 1579.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Eric A. Stewart. 2006. “ Predicting Who Reoffends: The Neglected Role of Neighborhood Context in Recidivism Studies.” Criminology 44:171-204.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2005. “ ‘I See Death around the Corner’: Nihilism in Rap Music.” Sociological Perspectives 48:433-459.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2005. “ Gangstas, Thugs, and Hustlas: Identity and the Code of the Street in Rap Music.” Social Problems 52:360 -378.
• Squires, Gregory D. and Charis E. Kubrin. 2005. “ Privileged Places: Race, Uneven Development, and the Geography of Opportunity in Urban America.” Urban Studies 42:47-68.
• Weitzer, Ronald and Charis E. Kubrin. 2004. “ Breaking News: How Local TV News and Real-World Conditions Affect Fear of Crime.” Justice Quarterly 21:497-520.
• Wadsworth, Tim and Charis E. Kubrin. 2004 “ Structural Factors and Black Interracial Homicide: A New Examination of the Causal Process.” Criminology 42:647-672.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Ronald Weitzer. 2003. “ New Directions in Social Disorganization Theory.” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 40:374- 402.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Jerald R. Herting. 2003. “ Neighborhood Correlates of Homicide Trends: An Analysis Using Growth-Curve Modeling.” Sociological Quarterly 44:329-350.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Ronald Weitzer. 2003. “ Retaliatory Homicide: Concentrated Disadvantage and Neighborhood Culture.” Social Problems 50:157- 180.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2003. “ Structural Covariates of Homicide Rates: Does Type of Homicide Matter?” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 40:139-170.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Tim Wadsworth. 2003. “ Identifying the Structural Correlates of African-American Killings: What Can We Learn from Data Disaggregation?” Homicide Studies 7:3-35.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2000. “ Racial Heterogeneity and Crime: Measuring Static and Dynamic Effects.” Research in Community Sociology10:189-219.
• Steen, Sara, Chris Bader and Charis E. Kubrin. 1999. “ Rethinking the Graduate Seminar.” Teaching Sociology 27:167-173.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and James Wo. Forthcoming. "Social Disorganization Theory's Greatest Challenge: Linking Structural Characteristics to Crime in Socially Disorganized Neighborhoods." In Alex R. Piquero (Ed.), Handbook of Criminological Theory. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
• Kubrin, Charis E. Forthcoming. “Cultural Disorganization and Crime.” In Francis T. Cullen, Pamela Wilcox, Robert J. Sampson, and Brendan Dooley (Eds.), Challenging Criminological Theory: The Legacy of Ruth Kornhauser. Transaction Publishers.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Glenn Trager. Forthcoming. "Immigration and Crime in U.S. Communities: Charting Some Promising New Directions in Research." In Sandra M. Bucerius and Michael Tonry (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook on Ethnicity, Crime, and Immigration. New York: Oxford University Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2013. “Immigration and Crime.” Pp. 440-455 in Francis T. Cullen and Pamela Wilcox (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Criminological Theory. New York: Oxford University Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2011. “ Communities and Delinquency.” Pp. 272-286 in Barry Feld and Donna Bishop (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Juvenile Crime and Juvenile Justice. New York: Oxford University Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Ronald Weitzer. 2010. “ Rap Music’s Violent and Misogynistic Effects: Fact or Fiction?” Pp. 121-144 in Mathieu Deflem (Ed.), Popular Culture, Crime, and Social Control. Sociology of Crime, Law, and Deviance, Vol. 14. Bingley, UK: Emerald/JAI Press.
• Kubrin, Charis E. 2010. “ Social Disorganization Theory: Then, Now, and In the Future.” Pp. 225-236 in Marvin D. Krohn, Alan J. Lizotte, and Gina Penly Hall (Eds.), Handbook on Crime and Deviance. New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
• Kubrin, Charis E. and Graham Ousey. 2009. “ Immigration and Homicide in Urban America: What’s the Connection?” Pp. 17-32 in William F. McDonald (Ed.), Immigration, Crime and Justice. Sociology of Crime, Law, and Deviance, Vol. 13. Bingley, UK: Emerald/JAI Press.
• Matsueda, Ross L., Kevin Drakulich, and Charis E. Kubrin. 2006. “ Race, and Neighborhood Codes of Violence.” Pp. 334-356 in Ruth D. Peterson, Lauren J. Krivo, and John Hagan (Eds.), The Many Colors of Crime: Inequalities of Race, Ethnicity and Crime in America. New York: New York University Press.
• Steen, Sara, Christine E.W. Bond, George S. Bridges, and Charis E. Kubrin. 2005. “ Explaining Assessments of Future Risk: Race and Attributions of Juvenile Offenders in Pre-Sentencing Reports.” Pp. 245-269 in Darnell F. Hawkins and Kimberly Kempf-Leonard (Eds.), Our Children, Their Children: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Differences in American Juvenile Justice. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
• Austin, James, John Irwin and Charis E. Kubrin. 2003. “ It’s About Time: America’s Imprisonment Binge.” Pp. 433-469 in Thomas G. Blomberg and Stanley Cohen (Eds.), Punishment and Social Control, 2nd Edition. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.