The focus of my research is how young children's abilities and well-being are affected by their social environments. In particular I have studied the following: outcomes of divorce and custody; effects of nonparental child care; influences of parenting strategies and behavior; children's suggestibility and eyewitness testimony.
- NICHD Early Child Care Research Network. (2005). Child care and child development: Results from the NICHD Study of Early Child Care and Youth Development. New York: Guilford.
- McCartney, K., Owen, M. T., Booth, C., Clarke-Stewart, K. A., & Vandell, D. L. (2004). Testing a maternal attachment model of behavior problems in early childhood. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45, 765-778.
- NICHD Early Child Care Research Network. (in press). Child care effect sizes for the NICHD Study of Early Child Care and Youth Development. American Psychologist.
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Lee, Y., Allhusen, V. D., Kim, M. S., & McDowell, D. J. (in press). Observed differences between early childhood programs in the U.S. and Korea: Reflections of "developmentally appropriate practices" in two cultural contexts. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Goossens, F. A., Allhusen, V. D. (2001). Measuring infant-mother attachment: Is the Strange Situation enough? Social Development, 10, 143-169.
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Fitzpatrick, M., Allhusen, V., & Goldberg, W. A. (2000). Measuring difficult temperament the easy way. Journal of Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics, 21, 207-220.
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Allhusen, V. D., McDowell, D. J., Thelen, L. A., & Call, J. D. (2003). Identifying psychological problems in young children: How do mothers compare with child psychiatrists? Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 23, 589-624.
- Goldberg, W., Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Rice, J. A. & Dellis, E. (2002). Emotional energy as an explanatory construct for fathers' engagement with their infants. Parenting: Science and Practice, 2, 379-408.
- Quas, J. A., Thompson, W. C., & Clarke-Stewart, K. A. (2005). Do jurors "know" what isn't so about child witnesses? Law and Human Behavior, 29, 425-456
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Malloy, L. C., & Allhusen, V. D. (2004). Verbal ability, self-control, and close relationships with parents protect children against misleading suggestions. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 18, 1037-1058.
- Clarke-Stewart, A., & Dunn, J. (Eds.) (2006). Families count: Effects on child and adolescent development. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Clarke-Stewart, A., & Allhusen, V. (2005). What we know about childcare. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Clarke-Stewart, A.,. & Brentano, C. (2005). Divorce lessons: Real-life stories and what you can learn from them. Charleston, SC: BookSurge Publishing.
- Clarke-Stewart, A., & Brentano, C. (2006). Divorce: Causes and consequences. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.